2015 Tryout Schedule
Registration process: 2015 tryout registration process and fee structure has changed slightly. Please follow the appropriate links below to register for EACH event you would like to attend. LINKS WILL BE LIVE SOON!
Tryout fees: Your first tryout is $35 for females, and $10 for males. If you desire to attend more than one tryout, your subsequent tryouts will each be $10 for females and $5 for males. Athletes may register for & attend as many tryouts as desired.
Tryout t-shirts: Players receive an Iowa Region HP tryout shirt at the first tryout they attend, and must wear the same shirt and CHECK-IN at all subsequent tryouts.
*Note for Future Select age players (born in 2002 or later): You will attend the same tryout as the GSEL, and are trying out for a spot in the regular GSEL division at Iowa HP Camp. After we select the GSEL players for camp, we will look at the Future Select age players that did not make the regular camp, and choose from those for spots at the one-day Future Select camp.
==>All tryouts are for both MALE & FEMALE athletes.
Sunday, February 22, 2015 in Council Bluffs
Site: Lewis Central HS
3504 Harry Langdon Blvd., Council Bluffs, IA 51503
Check in: 2-2:45pm
Sunday, March 15, 2015 in Cedar Rapids Area
Site: Adrenaline Volleyball Academy
3055 Robins Road, Robins IA 52233
Check in opens 60 minutes prior to your tryout time.
All athletes (male/female) with birth years 2000, 2001 and younger: 5:30-7pm
All athletes (male/female) with birth years 1996-1999: 7-8:30pm
Friday, March 27, 2015 in Cedar Falls
Site: UNI Wellness Recreation Center
2301 Hudson Road, Cedar Falls, IA
Check in: 6-6:45pm
Friday, April 10, 2015 in Des Moines
Site: Varied Industries Building at the Iowa State Fairgrounds
3000 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50317
Check in: 6:00-6:45pm
Sunday, April 19, 2015 in Quad Cities
Site: Bettendorf Middle School
2030 Middle Road, Bettendorf, IA 52722
Check in: noon-12:45pm
Tryout times: 1:00-3:00pm
USAV National HP Tryouts
Click here for the USA HP Site - USAV Web Site - HP Section
Wanted: Coaches to Work at HP Tryouts
Are you an adult willing to help out at one or more of our HP tryouts? We are always looking for coaches to help on court to run drills, toss balls, etc. Please fill out this form if you want to help out!
TRYOUT RESULTS; 2015 CAMP INVITES
Tryout results and 2015 HP Camp invites will be posted here when results are ready after the final HP tryout. Please check back at a later date.
2015 Tryout Registration Process
- BOYS, GYNT, GSEL are trying out for a spot at the HP Individual Camp (June 11-14 at Simpson College, Indianola)
- Future Select (born in 2002 or later) tryout for a spot at the regular GSEL camp. "Futues" not selected for the GSEL camp, are then considered for the one-day (June 13) Future Select camp.
- WJNT are trying out for a spot on the travel team for HP Championships. Players who make the team will attend a shortened HP Camp in June.
All athletes should pre-register for tryouts and pay your tryout fee online. *NEW: You will need to pre-register for every tryout you plan to attend. You will be given a tryout shirt at the first tryout you attend, and must wear the same shirt and check-in at every tryout you attend.
- Tryout Fee for Online Registration for females is $35 for your first tryout and each subsequent tryout you choose to attend will be $10.
- Tryout Fee for Online Registration for males is $10 for your first tryout and each subsequent tryout you choose to attend will be $5.
- Medical Release (required for all participants). Please turn in completed release form at your first tryout.
- Please complete your online registration 24 hours before each tryout you plan to attend.
While it is preferred that all athletes complete the registration process online, walk-ins are welcome at tryouts.
- Tryout fee for Walk-ins is: $50 each tryout for females. $20 each tryout for males.
- If walking up, you must check in 60 minutes prior to the start of the tryout.
HP tryout participants must have a current USAV membership. If you are playing on a USAV club team, you have a current membership. Non-members have 2 membership options for HP Tryouts:
- $10 Tryout Membership (good for one tryout only, can be used multiple times, and can be upgraded to a full membership)
- Full membership ($50 for 12U-18U females; $30 for 11U and younger athletes and all boys)
All players who are chosen to attend the HP Camp or to compete on an HP travel team must be full members.
What to Bring to Tryouts
- Register and pay in advance through the online HP Tryout registration process (<== left column).
- Bring a completed medical release form (if you have not already turned one in). If we do not have a medical release for you signed by a parent, you will not be able to take part in HP tryouts.
- If you are registering at the door, please arrive 60 minutes prior to tryout and bring your completed medical release form. Tryout fees for walk ups are $50 female/$25 males each tryout.
- We will give you a shirt and a number to wear for tryouts. You wear your own shorts, shoes, kneepads, etc. If you attend more than one tryout, you must wear your shirt and the same number to every tryout.
- CHECK IN: Everyone must check-in at every tryout they attend. Check in opens 60 minutes prior to scheduled tryout and closes 10 minutes prior to scheduled tryout time.
What to Expect at Tryouts
- The Iowa HP programs works hard to keep the tryout as neutral and unbiased as possible. If your club coach or high school coach is working the tryout, they should not spend a lot of time talking to you as we do not want to give the impression that we are favoring one person over another. Our goal is to choose the best players according to their performance at the Iowa HP tryout. If you feel that you did not perform to your best potential at a tryout, you can attend as many additional HP tryouts as you desire at a reduced cost.
- After check in, there will be fitness testing, including height and reach, and vertical jump testing.
- On the court, players will be mostly divided by age group, and sometimes split by position.
- Players will go through a series of drills that demonstrate their proficiency in ball handling, ability to communicate and lead on the court, and their skill in the positions they play. Players will also compete in game-like situations.
- Evaluators rate players according to the criteria used by USA Volleyball to choose a High Performance athlete.
- From tryouts, 50-60 players in each age division will be selected to attend the Iowa HP Camp in June. At that camp, 9-10 players in each division will be selected for each travel team, and will compete at the USAV HP Championships in Des Moines in July!
What We're Looking At During Tryouts
What are we looking at when we are evaluating you at tryouts?
- Middle Hitters: We watch their range and armspeed when they attack. We look at their height and athleticism, both vertically and side to side. We look at their positional IQ and how they are able to transition on both offense and their blocking. For middles, it is not always important that we look at the result (did they get a kill or a block), but at WHAT they did well (did they close the block or are they able to get a good hit out of transition).
- Outside Hitters: We are looking at their ability to terminate any set whether they are in system or out of system; do they have good ball control and a live or fast arm swing. Also looking for overall ball control as a primary passer/defender. It is important to look at the overall game of the outside hitter as a six rotation player.
- Setter: We evaluate the location, tempo, and consistency of the sets, in addition to the player's ability to play the game and make good decision on where to set the ball as well as leadership on the court. The player's ability to get their feet to the ball and be balanced is viewed and evaluated separately from pure athleticism.
- Libero: We watch ball control on serve receive and defense, while also factoring in hitter coverage. We look at their ability to set the second ball when out of system, and also their leadership and communication in controlling the court.