2014 Iowa HP Boys Tryouts
2014 Iowa HP Boys Acceptance Form (fill this out to let us know which camp you are interested in and if you would like to have travel team consideration).
The Iowa Region intends to send two boys teams (14U and a 17/18U) to the Asics Junior National Championships in Chicago, though our actual number of teams and level of each will be determined by our number of participants and their ages.
To earn a spot on an Iowa Boys HP travel team, players should:
- Attend at least one HP tryouts
- Attend the Iowa HP Camp in June
- Compete at Navy Pier in Chicago!
Boys wanting a spot on a travel team should attend at least one Boys HP tryouts (you may attend more than one):
CLICK HERE to visit our HP Tryout page for all of the Tryout information.
Travel teams will be chosen based on the players who attend tryouts. Players who don't attend tryouts may still attend the Iowa HP Camp in June. We may select 1-2 additional players for teams at HP Camp, but do not guarantee that those spots will be available. To ensure an opportunity to be on a travel team, players should plan to attend at least one tryout.
What to do if you plan to tryout:
- Register for the tryout online. Click Here for instructions.
- Make sure you have a USAV Membership. If you are a member of a different Region but live or go to school in Iowa, you can take part in the Iowa HP program. However, you will not be able to register for the tryout online. If you are unable to register for tryouts online, email Michelle Goodall ([email protected]) and let her know you will be attending a tryout.
- Fill out and bring a Medical Release Form
2014 Iowa HP Boys Travel Teams
ASICS Jr. National Championships
Date: June 16-17, 2014 (Monday and Tuesday)
Site: Navy Pier, Chicago
SCHEDULE (now live - 6/9/2014)
- Iowa Boys HP has entered two teams (14U & 18U) into this event, and the number of teams entered and the playing level of those teams will of course be determined by the number and age level of our participants.
- The Iowa Region will pay all entry fees, provide coaches and pay all costs for coaches, and provide uniforms (players return jersey and shorts, but get to keep a shirt and a backpack)
- Players are responsible for their own lodging, travel, and food, in addition to the $150 travel fee.
Final Information for Teams/Participants/Spectators (added 6/9/14)
Kennedy Lane Closures (added 6/9/14)
Navy Pier Parking Map (added 6/9/14)
Hotel Information (you can stay anywhere you like, but this is information about hotels offering special deals for the tournament)
Tournament Information including tournament manual and some hotel leads can be found on the Midwest Jr Volleyball website.
- Iowa Region coaches and staff will be staying together in a hotel downtown. Players can stay in the same hotel, but are also free to stay at any other hotel, or stay with family or friends. Remember that parking downtown and in the Navy Pier area is limited and expensive, so if you plan to drive to the playing site, get there early or plan to drop off the player prior to parking.
- Most players for each team will be selected during tryouts. The Iowa Region also reserves the right to select players at HP Camp to fill out rosters. Because the HP Camp finishes shortly before the tournament, the Iowa Region will reserve a few extra rooms at the same hotel as the coaches that we can sell to players selected at the last second. If these rooms are not needed, we will cancel them.
- Seats are not provided in the playing facility--you may bring in a small camping chair!
2014 Iowa HP Boys Camp
Dates: June 12-14, 2014
Site: Simpson College
Cost: $150 (includes food, lodging, and a shirt)
Boys of all ages and levels are invited to attend the Iowa HP Boys Camp!
- At camp, boys will be split according to skill and at the discretion of the camp staff.
- Camp will be led by USA Volleyball coaches, along with college and club coaches from Iowa.
- You do not need to be on a travel team to attend! This is a great opportunity to learn volleyball skills, play with other guys, and get some court time.
- All players selected for travel teams at the tryouts are required to attend the HP Camp.
- Additional players from each age group will be selected for travel teams during HP Camp.
- Sign up by May 19, 2014
To sign up for the Iowa HP Camp, send:
- Application & Medical Release
- $150 Camp Fee
- $150 Travel Deposit Check (These checks will NOT be immediately cashed, but simply held as a deposit in the event the athlete is selected for our travel teams. If an athlete does NOT make, or declines the travel team, these checks will be voided & available for return at camp check out.
ATTN: Iowa Boys HP
Iowa Volleyball Region
4600 Park Ave. Suite 201
Des Moines, IA 5321
USAV Membership is required for all tryout and camp attendees, and travel team members for insurance purposes. If you played on a club team or took part in Iowa Region events during the club season, your membership is good for Iowa HP tryouts, camp, and travel. A $10 tryout membership is available for those without a current membership. Camp attendees who do not have a current membership and did not attend a tryout may sign up for a $15 Iowa Region summer membership. Players who are attend a tryout and are on a travel team must have a full $30 membership
2014 Iowa HP Boys Travel teams
- If you are on the travel team list, please accept or decline your spot by Monday, May 5, by emailing Michelle Goodall ([email protected]).
- Please note, athletes from the 14U roster may be asked to 'play up' to the 18U roster if deemed necessary and appropriate.
- If you did not make the travel team list, you are still encouraged to attend the Iowa HP Camp. The remaining travel team athletes will be selected from the campers participating at camp. If you attended tryouts and we're not immediately selected to the travel team, you absolutely might be selected to travel based on the longer evaluation period the camp will provide.
- No one is guaranteed a starting position. Performance at HP Camp will help us to mold the team.
- If you have not already done so, send in your High Performance Camp application and medical release (unless we have one from tryouts), along with your camp fee. This is due by May 19, 2014. Remember that you are invited & encouraged to attend camp, regardless if you are immediately listed on the travel team roster; several travel team players will be added to rosters based on their camp performances. Travel team members are required to attend the Iowa HP Camp.
The following boys are offered a spot on our travel team at either the 18U division or the 14U division as applicable. To accept or decline the position, please reply to Michelle Goodall ([email protected]) by Monday May 5th noon.
Considering the extremely short turn-around between camp and our travel team's tournament in Chicago, as we have noted, many of the travel team participants are selected from the tryouts. However, our program absolutely does allow for additional athletes to be picked up and selected for travel during the camp. As we progress through camp, players will be offered spots as soon as it is determined they will be added to the travel team (to fill out positions, etc). The final lists will be posted HERE no later than Friday June 13, 6pm in order to afford families time to plan for travel.
Additionally, coaches and all HP Staff do reserve the right to shift younger players to fill out the older team roster as necessary. Any shifts in these teams will also be listed HERE as soon as they are deemed necessary.
14U Travel Team Roster as of 4/28 (with understanding that 2-4 more camp athletes will be added to the list as soon as it is determined at camp they will be offered the invitation).
*Boys listed with initial and two digit birth month/day.
18U Travel Team Roster as of 4/28 (with the understanding that 2-4 more camp athletes will be added to the list as soon as it is determined at camp that they will be offered the invitation):