Individual Camp Information
What to expect at HP Individual Camp
- Great coaching: the camp is led by USA Volleyball coaches, and camp coaches come from Iowa’s Colleges (Div. I, Div. III, and NAIA!), High Schools, and volleyball clubs.
- Great volleyball: every player at the HP Individual Camp is a great player, so the level of skill in drills and scrimmages will be higher than almost any other camp you have ever been to.
- And if you're attending an overnight camp: Great sleep! You will play a LOT of volleyball every day, so you will be tired!
- Great friends: the connections and friendships developed between players and coaches will last for years to come!
- Great ratio: the coach to player ratio at camp is around 1:4.
- At that camp, 8-10 players in each division will be selected for the travel teams, and will compete at the USAV HP Championships!.
2014 HP Individual Camp Schedule
- Dates: June 11-14, 2014 for GYNT and GSEL
- Future Select will likely be June 14 (subject to change)
- Boys will likely be June 12-14 (subject to change)
- WJNT will be a two day period, between June 11-13, and will be subject to selected players schedules.
Camp Tournament Schedule (PDF)
William Penn Campus Map (PDF)
HP Camp Survey
William Penn University Address - 201 Trueblood Ave, Oskaloosa, IA 52577
- Note that this address is for the campus of William Penn University, and is not the actual address of the dorm where we will have check-in. Please look at the campus map for directions to the Market Street Dorms. They are on the East side of Market Street.
June 11-14, 2014--GSEL & GYNT Divisions
Site - TBD
Cost: $495 in paying by cash or check. $510 if paying by credit card. (includes room & board, and a t-shirt)
June 12-14, 2014--Boys HP Camp (subject to change)
Brochure and Registration information
Site - TBD
Cost: $150 (includes room & board, and a t-shirt)
June 14, 2014--Future Select HP Camp (subject to change)
Future Select age players (born in 2002 or later) will tryout with the GSEL for a spot at the HP Camp. From the Future Select age players not chosen for the regular HP Camp, we will select approx. 25-30 to attend a one day, Future Select camp. Cost includes meals and a t-shirt.
Site - TBD
June 11-13, 2014--WJNT Camp--will actually be a two day camp during this time period, subject to selected player's schedules
Site - TBD
Cost - $100
2013 HP Camp Coaches
University of Southern California Assistant Coach
3 time Olympian, and former AVP MVP
Jeff Nygaard, has played on the AVP beach tour since 2001, earning AVP MVP honors in 2003 when he and Dain Blanton were named AVP Team of the Year. He has won 7 AVP tourneys and an FIVB event while earning more than $470,000. He captured a beach tourney for 4 consecutive years (2002-05), including an AVP-best 3 victories in 2003.
The 6-8 Nygaard was a middle blocker on the U.S. National Team from 1993 to 2000 and represented the U.S. in 3 Olympics. He was a member of the indoor team at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics and teamed with Blanton on the beach in the 2004 Olympics. He also helped the U.S. win a bronze medal at the 1994 World Championships.
He played on the 1999 and 2001 Los Angeles Athletic Club teams coached by Ferguson that won the U.S. Men's Open national titles.
As a 4-year (1992-95) starter at UCLA, Nygaard was the first collegiate men's player to be named National Player of the Year in 2 consecutive seasons when he did so in 1994 and 1995. He was also the National and Conference Freshman of the Year in 1992. He was a 3-time (1993-95) All-American and All-Conference first teamer. He helped the Bruins to the 1993 NCAA title, setting an NCAA tourney record by hitting .867 in the semifinals and earning NCAA All-Tournament co-MVP honors. In 1994, he set UCLA season records with 650 kills while averaging 6.98 kills per match as the Bruins advanced to the NCAA championship match, where he made the NCAA All-Tourney team. The 1995 UCLA team won the NCAA title while posting a 31-1 record (going undefeated in league play) and he was named NCAA All-Tournament MVP. His 123 career aces set a school record.
He helped La Follette High in Madison (Wisc.) to the 1987 and 1989 state championships and a runner-up finish in 1988.
Nygaard was a volunteer assistant coach with the UCLA men's team for 3 seasons (2002-04). He spent 2009 as an assistant women's coach at Whittier.
He was born on Aug. 3, 1972. He and his wife, Renee, have 2 daughters, Sophia and Elena.
2 time Olympian, and former professional player
Going Gold Volleyball Club Director
San Clemente, CA Native
1995 Orange and LA County Athlete of the Year (water polo, basketball, volleyball)
1995-1997 USC (exercise science, volleyball)
1997-2000 Stanford University (BA in Human Biology, volleyball)
2008 Certificate in Personal Financial Planning UCLA
2000-2011 Professional volleyball player (12 countries over 10 years)
1997-2012 USA Mens National (Olympic) Indoor Volleyball team
2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing Olympian
2008-2012 USOC Athlete Advisory Council representative for all volleyball players to USOC
2012-2016 Elected to Leadership of Athletes Advisory Council to the USOC
2010- present USA Volleyball Board of Directors Advisor
2010 Founded Going Gold Volleyball in Sacramento, CA
2011 - 2012: Employed by General Electric Aviation as part of their HealthAhead Healthymagination Team
2012 Corporate Athlete Course Certified Trainer
2012 - 2013 Certificate in Olympic Sport Mangement from the USOC Northwestern Kellogg school of business
Texas Tornados Club Director
Coached at USC, Utah State, Idaho, SCU Bakersfield, and Vanguard University
Erikka Gulbranson has spent 20+ years in the sport of volleyball with her experience ranging from playing, coaching, directing and managing youth, collegiate and international teams. She coached for the 3- time Women's Volleyball National Champion University of Southern California, as well as Utah State, University of Idaho, CSU Bakersfield and Vanguard University. In addition,Erikka has been involved with USA Volleyball for several years. After serving as a Master Coach and Trainer for the Youth & Junior National Teams, Erikka developed a High Performance Coaches technical training manual, used to train all National Team program staff, while teaming up with former Olympic Team Coach Toshi Yoshida to write the book "Inside Out of Passing." Erikka’s experience and skills extend beyond coaching, as she also possesses strong marketing and business skills.
During her time with the USA Volleyball Program she served as a Head Coach for the Youth National Team, finishing 4th at World Championships in 2005. She has also had several First Assistant positions with National teams traveling to Canada, Mexico, Poland and Croatia.
Most recently, she headed two separate volleyball programs; 2011 in Peru and 2008 in Brazil, put together by the U.S. Embassy, spending a week traveling throughout the countries teaching volleyball. A few years before this, Erikka was part of an elite coaching staff that traveled to Nigeria to teach over 600 kids how to play volleyball, traveling with 100 volleyballs and ropes that they used for make-shift nets.
Erikka’s passion for this sport has taken her to over 30 countries working with kids and adults teaching volleyball, running clinics and doing community service projects to help players, parents and coaches understand the amazing team sport of volleyball.
Individual Camp Forms
Iowa HP Gear Store
Clothing is available for purchase in the Iowa HP Gear Store! We welcome anyone involved in the High Performance program to purchase any of these items, but have some items that are geared toward travel team players. To receive items in time for the 2013 High Performance Championships, you need to order by June 16, 2013.
To purchase items, CLICK HERE to go to the HP Store!
What is available for travel team players? These items are optional for travel team players--the Iowa Region will not be supplying warmups, spandex, or shorts this year, but we're making them available for you to purchase as desired. All items will have the Iowa HP logo.
- Warmup pants and jackets--Mizuno 9 series, pants are available in long or regular length.
- Black spandex (you may wear your own black spandex at the HP Championships--4" inseam or longer, small logo is allowed).
- Red warm-up shorts
What is available for anyone to order?
- Iowa HP logo t-shirts: black t-shirt with a hot pink logo, and a neon yellow shirt with a black logo
- HP Camp Survivor tshirt
2014 HP Camp Invitees - GYNT & GSEL
- Invitees and alternates are listed by Division (GSEL, GYNT, or Future Select), SHIRT NUMBER, and INITIALS (alphabetized by initial). All invitees will also receive an email with more information and what to do next to decline/accept your position. If you did NOT receive an email, please contact Colleen ([email protected]), as we may not have a correct email address for you.
- To accept or decline your position at camp, CLICK HERE to go to the online form.
- Alternates are listed in alphabetical order by initial, and will be invited to camp based on position needs according to Iowa HP staff.
- All boys are invited to attend HP Camp. The travel teams have been partially selected, with a few spot remaining to be chosen at camp.
GSEL 2014 HP Camp Invites & Alternates
GYNT 2014 HP Camp Invites & Alternates
FUTURE SELECT HP DAY CAMP INVITES
Boys 14u & 17u HP Team Invites
Boys 14u Travel Team
Boys 17u Travel Team