|You Are Here: Home :: Clinics :: Referee & Scorer Clinics
Referee & Scorer Clinics
Click below for Referee & Scorer Clinic Information on ...
Additionally You'll Find Information on ...
Adults Associated with a Junior Team
ADULTS who will be helping as a Referee &/or Scorer MUST complete two parts in order to obtain their Iowa Region referee/scoring certification for the 2013/14 season. The team's roster will not reflect that you have finished until you complete both parts and should be done prior to your first tournament. Beginning February 1, tournament directors will be able to charge you for not having a certified adult referee on your roster.
STEP ONE (Complete First):
Coaches & Adults interested in becoming a Referee
- Sign Up and View both online clinics: "Adult on a Junior Team-Referee Clinic" AND "Adult on a Junior Team-Scoring Clinic" (instructions below)
Adults Helping as Scorer
- Sign Up and View the online clinic: "Adult on a Junior Team-Scoring Clinic" (instructions below)
STEP TWO (Complete after step one):
Complete ONE of the following three options:
- View the Iowa Region online Webinar, and take the follow up quiz. (This counts as your live clinic)
OR, Attend a live clinic (MUST SIGNUP PRIOR TO CLINIC)
- Webinar Link
- For PCs, you may need to install the "GoToMeeting codec" software. It only takes a couple minutes. After registering, please click on the link underneath the "View Recording" button and follow the install instructions.
- Quiz Link
Or, Attend a 1 hour review session at the beginning of specified tournaments (use this option as a last resort, as they will not be offered at every tournament)
To sign up for a live clinic, login to your USAV membership. Go to "Event Registration" on the left side blue bar, and select "Region Ref/Score Clinics." The live clinic will be listed as Live Officials Clinic - followed by the city. Select and register for the one you will attend. (There is no cost involved)
Iowa City, IA - Monday, Dec. 9, 6:30-8:30 pm
Iowa City West HS Cafeteria
2901 Melrose Ave
Iowa City, IA 52248
Manchester, IA - Sunday Dec. 8, 1:00-4:00 pm
1001 Doctor Street
Manchester, IA 52057
To schedule a live officials clinic, contact the Iowa Region Office at 515-727-1860 or email Lynne Updegraff at [email protected] or contact John Mauch [email protected]
- We are creating a schedule for which tournaments we will provide this service at, and will post here as soon as it is finished.
Adult Players not on Junior Rosters
Adult players not associated with a Junior Club should follow the directions for Individuals to receive referee certification, but take the course titled Indoor Refereeing - General Education.
Junior Referee & Scorer Clinic
NEW THIS YEAR - Junior players (18 and younger) do not have to attend a live referee clinic. They should individually take the Iowa Junior Player Referee & Scorer Clinics online. Once they have completed the clinic(s), their membership will be automatically updated and they will show as certified on their roster.
- Note: a club may require that all junior members take the clinics. The Iowa Region requirement is that any players that will perform referee or score keeping duties have completed that appropriate clinic.
- Note: If a club runs a live clinic for it's junior member rather than have then do the online clinic, their attendance will NOT be noted in Webpoint and will NOT show up on your official roster.
To take the Iowa Junior Player Referee Clinic Online:
- Register for the course online
- Login to your USA Volleyball Membership page
- On the left side bar, under Event Registration, click Region Ref/Score Clinics
- Click the Registration button next to ...
Be sure to print a blank score sheet to use during the clinic!
Take all clinics and quizzes (you can doing them all at once, or do one and come back at a later time to complete the rest).
- For Referee clinic choose "Junior Player Referee Clinic"
- For Scorer clinic choose "Junior Player Scorer Clinic"
- IMPORTANT: If you have already completed the Junior Player Referee Clinic, it also fulfills your Scoring requirements! The only thing you have to do to receive credit and have your scoring certification reflected in your membership is to register for the Iowa Junior Player Scoring Clinic online!!!
Instructions for taking the Online Junior Referee Clinic
Or if you prefer, you can click the icon below and watch an instructional video on how to sign up:
The Iowa Region and the Great Plains Region run a joint National Referee Clinic every year and will be held on Saturday January 4th, 2014 in Des Moines, IA.
The site will be Fort Des Moines Open Bible Church* - 1116 Army Post Rd., Des Moines, IA.
- 8:30 - 9:00 am Check-in
- 9:00 - 1:00 pm National Clinic (This is a required clinic for National and Jr National Referees, but lower officials may attend for a price)
- 1:00 - 1:30 pm Lunch ($7 for Lunch or bring your own)
- 1:30 - 5:00 pm Advanced Referee Clinic (This is for Provisional and Regional officials)
To Sign up for the clinics, go to the VRT site
To sign up for Lunch: Click here and pay at the event.
USA Volleyball Officials Training Site
As you may have heard, USA Volleyball has made its official training website, www.volleyballreftraining.org the sole destination for all things to do with USAV rules and officials. The revamped site has been consolidated with all the materials needed by officials of all levels and disciplines – referees, scorers, and line judges – into a single, easy-to-navigate site.
Referee instructions, casebooks and a blog are some of the officials materials. The Score sheets and instructions on scoring techniques are full or information. Many of these presentations have been broken into small sections so that you can easily review an area you missed at a live clinic or just to break your online clinics into smaller easier to focus modules.
Login Page for Referee Clinics:
- CLICK HERE to go to the login page for online referee/scoring clinics
- NOTE: If you have not already signed up for the clinic on Webpoint, you will not receive credit for courses you take through this link. Please make sure you have also registered for the clinic on Webpoint. Once you've done that, you can use this link to return to your courses and finish them at a later time.
Required Clinic Materials
Here are new score keeping updates for the 2012/13 season.
- Libero Serving: the libero can now serve for all levels of USAV play. CLICK HERE for instructions on how to mark the libero serving on the score sheet.
- Hourglass Points: When playing 21-point sets at a tournament, the set will begin with a score of 4-4, and end at 25. On the scoresheet, the first four (4) points for each team will be hourglassed prior to beginning the set.
Scoring Aids & Score Sheets
Additional Materials - Practice & Examples
Additional Materials - Scoring Sheets